What can I do?

Information in this section will help guide you if you think you may need to act on a possible case of child sexual abuse.

What to do if someone under 18 has/is experiencing sexual abuse?

If you or someone you know is aware of a child that is experiencing/ has experienced sexual abuse, you must report to the police and inform children’s services as this is a safeguarding concern. Both the police and children’s services work together to support a family and young person in a confidential and child focused way.

What is a child protection referral?

A referral, in the context of child protection, is when someone contacts Children’s Services because they have concerns about the safety and well-being of a child. Anyone can make a referral including a parent, wider family member, friend, doctor, teacher, or charity worker etc.

When do you need to make one?

Children should be referred to children’s social care if:

• They need the support services that the local authority can provide.

• There are concerns about abuse or neglect which need investigating.

• They have suffered significant harm.

• They are likely to suffer significant harm.

When there are concerns that a child is suffering or likely to suffer Significant Harm, then the referral must be made immediately.

If you are an adult that has suffered child sexual abuse then you are able to report this to the police or reach out to your own GP/ the charities listed below for further support.

How to make a referral

Referrals can be made via telephone on the numbers listed below or online at: Refer a child who you’re concerned about | Refer a child who you’re concerned about | Birmingham Children’s Trust (birminghamchildrenstrust.co.uk)

Information for Birmingham City Council:

Daytime Telephone: 0121 303 1888

Emergency out-of-hours: 0121 675 4806

If your referral is deemed urgent due to a child(ren) being at risk of immediate and significant harm, please call 999

You can discuss confidentiality when making a referral if you feel that your own safety will be compromised.

You can give information anonymously at Giving information | Crimestoppers (crimestoppers-uk.org). Crimestoppers is NOT the police and so if a child is being harmed then you need to ring 999


Drop-in Centre

Our drop-in centre, at the heart of the community in Sparkbrook, is the focal point for all our activity. Staffed by volunteers and health care professionals, we offer a warm welcome to anyone who is looking for help, advice or support. Just call between 9am and 5pm weekdays. No appointment is necessary.

Read more